Monday, September 17, 2018

7 Fictional Characters I Wish Were My Best Friends



Today we’re talking friendships. More specifically fictional people I wish were my friends. So often we talk about our fictional crushes (which I have plenty of too *cough, cough*) and fictional worlds we want to visit. But what about the fictional people we’d just want to call bestie? Because, let’s be real, there are some cool characters out there who I’d give my left pinky to be able to hang out with. You know it’s true!


There are many (manyyyyy), but here are seven specifically that would cause me to lose appendages if it meant being their friend. (Um wut???) I’m actually sticking to literary characters because if I did this with books, movies, and TV shows there’s no earthly way I’d only be able to narrow it down to a few.

 


7 LITERARY CHARACTERS
I WANT AS FRIENDS

 

WALTER

The Dragons in Our Midst/Oracles of Fire series
by Bryan Davis


Walter is the best friend of this series’ protagonist, Billy. And what a best friend he is! He’s the epitome of the fun friend. Not only is he well versed in puns, super carefree, and non-judgmental, he’s totally supportive when you reveal to him your dad is a dragon and he discovers your crush has dragon wings. I mean #FRIENDGOALS


At first, Walter seems like the mere comedy relief character but OH NO. He’ll dive into battle without a thought to save those he cares about. But he’s also the one that will give you a word of comfort or throw out a ridiculous joke when he knows you need a laugh. He’s both calm and hilarious, which is one of my most favorite combinations!


Literally from the moment I started the first book in this series all those years ago, I’ve wanted Walter as my bestie. He and I would have a blast together goofing off, coming up with over the top cheesy puns (#PUNAPPRECIATION), and being utterly obnoxious together. It’d be great!

 

SOPHIE
Howl’s Moving Castle

by Diana Wynne Jones


I mean, you knew there’d be a Howl’s Moving Castle character on this list. (I’m so predictable.)


I’m like 97% sure Sophie and I would get along swimmingly. Sophie is much like me, in that she first seems mousy and quiet, but soon taps into her utterly sassy, fiery side and can tell people off when she gets the mind. #Relatable I’m a strangely calm, carefree person while also living off sarcasm as much as oxygen, thus I get along with calm people (like Walter) but also love finding fellow sass-masters (like Sophie).


Sophie and I could spend all day complaining together about stupid people, throwing snark to the world, yelling at Howl for his ridiculous antics, all while just in general enjoying each other’s company. I relate to this girl at a deep level, guys. She’s seriously my favorite female fictional character. BFFs forever please????

 

CRESS
The Lunar Chronicles

by Marissa Meyer


Ah yes, my Cress bby girl. I love adorable cinnamon rolls, and Cress is the epitome of one. She’s awkward, soft, and kindhearted, but by no means stupid. (I hate when “kind and innocent” is considered “dumb” buuut that’s a rant for another day.) This girl spent most of her life locked away in a satellite, forced to use her expert hacking skills for the evil queen. Being as how she’s barely had any contact with the human world, it’s no wonder she’s a little awkward and shy. But that just makes her all the more endearing.


Cress and I could totally be awkward penguins together. I feel like we’d be the type of friends who’d stay up all night watching Disney movies and singing aloud to the songs, texting each other cute cat photos, painting each other’s nails, and swooning over Carswell Thorne together. Cress would be a precious companion to have.

 

CRISPIN
Beaumont and Beasley series

by Kyle Robert Shultz


Crispin is the younger brother of Nick Beasley, the main male character of the Beaumont and Beasley series, and his antics knows no bounds. His flighty, optimistic attitude is such a contrast to his brother’s grumpy, pessimistic, no-nonsense demeanor and I love it. I mean, when his brother turns into a beast his response is something like, “Oh. Okey doke then.” Yeah, he’s pretty casual about whatever life throws at him. (And he has a lot of bizarre stuff happen to him, let me tell you.)


My friendship with Crispin would probably be a lot like with Walter, in that we’d drive everyone crazy with our dumb puns, laugh at inappropriate times, and just kinda shrug and roll with it when the world is threatening to end. I’d also totally support him in his endeavor of adopting like all the cute mythical creatures in the world. Because YES. Gimme all the animals (especially if they’re mythical)! <333 We’d probably accidentally start our own mythical menagerie and who knows the disastrous consequences that would ensue… Good times, good times!

 

KALE
DragonKeeper Chronicles
by Donita K. Paul


Kale is one of those indescribable characters. She’s so complex and unorthodox, which is why I love her. Throughout the series, we watch Kale become an unsure young girl, to a feisty, confident woman. Oh, and did I mention she has a group of minor dragons (which are literally kitten-size dragons)? Yeah. She doesn’t go anywhere without like a dozen tiny little dragons following her around. Who wouldn’t want to be best friends with her?


I love Kale’s free spirit. One day she goes out wearing ostentatiously colorful clothes just ‘cause, and yet, at the same time, she has a very no-nonsense attitude, while living a life of nonsense. That kind of contradicting personality is so relatable to me. She really doesn’t care what other people think, but will absolutely give her opinion to others when she feels like it. We’d totally have fun judging the world together while also caring two cents about what the world thinks of us. That’s what true friendship is made of, amiright?

 

KADEN
Ilyon Chronicles
by Jaye L. Knight


Kaden is technically the twin brother to Kyrin, but he really encompasses that “big brother” type. And I’m a sucker for protective big brothers. In fact, my first ever story I wrote when I was 9 had a fun, protective older brother. I love writing them, reading about them, and hanging out with them.


Kaden has a very cool, carefree attitude, but will totally beat someone up for you if the occasion arises. Perfect combo, in my opinion. And, to top it all off, he’s very fun. I’m always drawn to fun, easygoing people. I feel like Kaden and I can totally just chillax while the world burns around us. Or go to an all-you-can-eat buffet and stuff ourselves silly. Or, ya know, join the Resistance and ride dragons together and save the world. Whatever situation comes up. Either way, I’d love having Kaden’s fun, casual self around.

 

CIMORENE
The Enchanted Forest Chronicles
by Patricia C. Wrede


Cimorene actually reminds me a lot of Sophie, just maybe even more feisty and rebellious. She ain’t gonna take nonsense from anyone. And letting a knight save her from a dragon? Naaah. Why not go to the dragon herself, befriend it, and become its housekeeper? That’s the type of logical thinking I can get on top of.


As I said, Cimorene is friends with dragons, which is a draw to be besties with her in and of itself. (The key to being Christine’s best friend: Have a dragon.) But I also feel like we could snark people off all day together. In fact, can I just form a squad with Cimorene, Sophie, and Kale? Although I don’t know, that much sass together might be too much for the world.



There ya have it. Just a little sampling of the type of fictional characters I’d call my BFF at the drop of a hat. (But seriously, why haven’t we found a way to bring fictional characters to life yet???? I have NEEDS.) I apparently really like carefree, funny guys and sassy females? And also cinnamon rolls. I just want all the cinnamon rolls in the world.


TALK WITH ME!

Your turn! Give me one (or three) fictional character you wish was your bestie. And do you agree with any of mine? Let’s share all the fictional characters appreciation!

22 comments:

  1. All of your choices are perfect. I really want to read the last two now!
    Sophie would be one of my choices, she is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was hard to narrow it down. There's just so many great characters out there!

      *LE GASP* Have you never read The Enchanted Forest Chronicles??? I don't think I realized that. I highly recommend it! In fact, the style reminds me a lot of the whimsical, nonsensical, fairytale-like style of Howl's Moving Castle. I think you'd love it!

      Sophie is everything! :D

      Delete
  2. YES, CRESS AS A FRIEND WOULD BE EPIC!!!!!! I haven’t actually read most of these, but the ones I do know I back wholeheartedly! Kaden would be an awesome best friend too!

    Great post! (And yeah, I agree, if you get into movies and TV shows this would be an IMPOSSIBLE choice. :) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHT??? I adore her so much! And yes, Kaden would be a blast!

      Oooh, I highly recommend ALL of these! They're all clean stories with amazing characters (as you can see, hehe).

      Thanks so much! (Oh my goodness, there's so many. o.o)

      Delete
  3. Lol Walter was the best part of the Dragons in our Midst books!! Some of his lines I still repeat to this day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walter was EVERYTHING. And YES, he was the most quotable character. Gotta love 'im! XD

      Delete
  4. First of all, I have to say that you and I sound pretty similar. Like, when I started my job everyone thought I was this shy little quiet mouse and now I'm constantly surprising them with sass and attitude. It's hilarious. xD

    Also, I'VE ONLY READ ONE OF THE BOOKS YOU MENTIONED. Seriously, one of these days a TBR pile is going to COME TO LIFE and EAT one of us. xD

    Can I have Samwise Gamgee as my best friend, please??
    Or in a totally different area, I feel like I could be really good friends with Christy Miller from the series by Robin Jones Gunn. I've always been able to relate to her a lot.

    This is such a fun post. :D I'd like to see one about those fictional crushes now. xD

    theonesthatreallymatter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaahhhh, so fun!!! That is totally me! People mistake me for an introvert because I'm very quiet and unassuming buuut nope. I'm a totally sassy extrovert, I just have to be in the right element to let it out. Lol.

      Oh, girl, I understand! I read all the time and yet I feel like I've read nothing. There are just so many books out there! D: Buuut, in case you needed an even more monstrous TBR, I do 100% recommend all of these. *grins*

      YES YES YES!!! Sam would be the BEST best friend. He's so kind and loyal. <3
      I've never actually read the Christy Miller books myself, but I've definitely heard of them. That sounds awesome she's a relatable protagonist!

      D'awww! So happy you enjoyed it!
      Bwahahaha. I doooo. Maybe that'll be a Valentine's post. ;D

      Delete
  5. The sass was so strong in your list, it was amazing. ;)

    A couple of my top favorite characters are Katherine Morland from Northanger Abbey and Yorsh from The Last Dragon.

    I relate to the daydreaming Katherine waaaay too much. She is so sweet to every one though, and I feel like I would have a great time hanging out with her.

    And Yorsh, just, augh! He is an elf so duh, can I be your friend please! And he is just a precious little person who I just wanted to give a hug to for half the book! He cares for people so much, and becomes the hero because of that, not because he as dead set on saving the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Friends who sass together stay together. ;D

      I sadly don't know either of those characters. THE SHAME. But they sound precious!!! A daydreamer and an ELF. Yep. I can definitely understand getting along with those two! ^_^ I love the concept of Yorsh becoming a hero because he cares about people, not because of great, heroic acts. That is precious!

      Delete
  6. Ooh, I never thought about doing something like this! This is super cool! Hmm, some fictional characters I would like to be my friends are Lucy Pevensie from The Chronicles of Narnia, Tauriel from the Hobbit movies, and Merlin from the BBC show The Adventures of Merlin. :-) And YES FOR THE CINNAMON ROLLS. <333

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Listing characters is seriously my favorite thing to do. XDDD

      LUCY AND MERLIN. YES YES YESSSS!!!!! I adore them SO. MUCH. The most precious of cinnamon rolls. I'm not really a Tauriel fan, buuut that's fun you like her. I guess she WAS a good character, I just didn't like her whole plot thread in the movies. It was so far from the book. Lol!

      Delete
  7. Cress and I would be absolute best friends because we're so alike. I would also be best friends with Cinder, because we're so different (strange how that works, isn't it?) Also, Frodo. Frodo and I would be such good friends. And Eowyn too. And Jane Eyre (I have ulterior motives though. If I was Jane's friend, I could talk her out of marrying Mr Rochester). And Jill and Polly from Narnia. I love them so much (more, unfortunately, than Lucy or Susan).
    Those are just a few of my fictional besties...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ALL of these are such fantastic picks! That is so precious you and Cress are a lot alike. And yes, I totally get also being friends with someone who is completely different (one of my real life best friends and I are polar opposites and it works perfectly, then I have another and we're so similar and it's great! XD)

      Frodo and Eowyn would be such wonderful people to hang out with. And Jill and Polly are wonderful! Lucy is probably my favorite Narnia gal, but I still 100% adore Jill and Polly! That's hilarious you want to be friends with Jane Eyre for ulterior motives. XDD Sounds like something I'd do! LOL.

      Delete
  8. Cress! Sophie! Oh my, I love your choices! I'm kind of similar in that I seem like a super shy person (you should have seen me in my first month at my job) but once I'm comfortable around people I am COMFORTABLE, man. xD

    My favorite fictional charries to be friends with would be Imraldera and Cress for sure, but I'd also love to be friends with all the characters from Mitford. It's funny, this is a super hard question...I tend to think more about my fictional crushes, haha. XD Great post as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CRESS AND SOPHIE YES. They're seriously two of my top, top, TOP favorite fictional females. That's so fun you really open up when you're comfortable. I love it!

      Imraldera. Oh my goodness! For some reason I didn't think of her but YES. She'd go great in my Sassy Girls Squad. ;D I've shamefully not read the Mitford books, but my mom loves them and talks about them a lot, so I feel like I sort of know those stories without reading them. Lol. It definitely sounds like there are some delightful characters in that series.

      I know what you mean! That's kind of why I did this post, because it seems like something we don't think of a lot. I think more about my fictional crushes too! It's so shameful. XD

      Thanks so much, girl! ^_^

      Delete
  9. Okay so I don't think I've actually read ANY of the books on this list, but I'm at least familiar with them, heh. xD

    I do need to finish the Lunar Chronicles sometime so I can get to Cress . . . *sigh*

    Oh, also, SOMEONE HAS A HORDE OF KITTEN-SIZED DRAGONS TRAILING BEHIND THEM?!?! That is freaking adorable. Please and yes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THEY'RE ALL SO GOOD! Seriously, I highly recommend each and every one of these! Such delightful stories!

      Cress was my FAVORITE of the series. It's absolutely worth reading the others to get to it, in my opinion. I loved it so much. (Though of course I loved ALL the books. Cress was just my fave!)

      YESSSS. It's the most fun series. I recommend it to like...everyone. XD The dragon appreciation in those books is unbelievable.

      Delete
  10. Oh my gosh. I could so see you and Cress as best friends. XD

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cress would be THE MOST WONDERFUL FRIEND. :D Watching Disney movies and drinking hot chocolate together, baking cookies and eating the dough, definitely swooning over Carswell together...it would be a lovely friendship. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESSSSS!!!! We need Cress in our life. She would be like the ultimate bestie! :D

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...