Saturday, October 25, 2014

Magic Storytelling


Have you ever watched a show or seen a movie or read a book and by the end you’re just sitting there stunned, wondering how the writers produced such magic? And, more importantly, how can you incorporate that same magic storytelling into your own novels? I think us writers are always on the search for better storytelling, hoping maybe, someday, somehow we can stun people with our beautiful stories just as much as you were by that one special book or that mind-blowing show.

I find myself in this position for, well, the majority of my life. I consume stories like a rabid beast, burrowing into them searching for those little tricks that turn a good idea into something great. One such show that has blown my mind and grown my eyeballs at least three times their size by the pure ingenious of it, leaving me glowing green in pure jealousy of the writers’ brilliant, creative minds is Once Upon a Time. Not only is it one of my favorite TV shows, it’s also magnificent fodder for amazing storytelling for us ravenous writers.

Precious Sky from one of my top favorite blogs Further Up and Further In sweetly asked me to share whatever writerly wisdom I’ve gleaned from said show on her blog. I was excited, to put it lightly.

I certainly don’t have all the magical keys the Once Upon a Time writers hold to unlocking such incredible storytelling, but over the years of watching the show I’ve caught a few of their tricks. Today I’m sharing 7 of them on Sky’s blog. You can click the link right there or the picture below to check it out.

OUAT Blog Post

And if you have stories that blow your mind with their well-told storytelling, share them with me! Here or there. I’d love to hear about them!

2 comments:

  1. STORY OF MY LIFE.
    ...Ahem. >.>

    I still haven't seen Once Upon a Time. O_O

    YAY BRILLIANT GUEST POST BY MAH LAURI WHICH WILL UNLOCK FOR US ALL THE SECRETS OF THE UNIVERSE!! ^_^ ...Or some such. ;) *frolics off to read*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BUT SERIOUSLY THOUGH. I feel like all I do is feed off stories trying to gain knowledge from them.

      You neeeed to. Or, you know, not. It may ruin your life because it's so good all you want to do is watch it. But that may be just me...

      *giggly snort* Oh, Celti... XD More like the secrets to make me fangirl. Hee.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...